Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Take on the 'Guin Part II

Once I had the Live CD and DVD in hand, I set out with the SuSE first. It went through boot up, detecting hardware, install services, etc. etc., and finally KDE was up. Logged in, immediately I felt like home - the GUI looked just like a hybrid of Windows and Mac. Looked closer, ther were few things left behind, including the non-functional sound card and YaST update. OK no big deal. I configured the sound cared to one point that it could play the notification sound, but I could never get the CD music or MP3 to play. YaST update didn't work at all. Maybe due to the strip down version of the Live demo? The Open Office Novell version worked beautifully, kudos to Novell. PDF viewer, on the other hand, crashed every single time when I tried to open a file.

Anyway, the GUI, Office suite, and hardware recognition were impressive, but I tend to shy away from the "enterprise" attitude (stripped down demo version, for example) I could sense. So I decided to move on and look at Ubuntu, which supposely is the hottest distro on the block now.

(image linked from www.novell.com)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home